Friday 12 March 2010

Porridge Slow-Cooked

Ever since I bought a slow cooker from my senior last year, I think I have "fully used" it. One of my favourite, is to cook porridge in it. Because it is easy, and when I am back from class, I will have enough time to rest and have my simple dinner without going into the smokey common kitchen.It is extremely easy and time-saving, especially when I am having a heavy/busy subject or when exams around the corner. It is useful especially when you have to cook for yourself, when mama is far away from you, haha.

I like the porridge from slow cooker because the rice grains will turn very soft and would produce a very fine porridge. Well, I prefer it that way. So, if you like those porridge where you still can enjoy the texture of the rice, this might not be yours. Besides, with sufficient amount of water, you won't need to worry for a burnt porridge. And porridge in slow-cooker keeps the moisture (water) in them. It is rather difficult to get a dry, thickened porridge; unless of course you put very little amount of water.

So, first and foremost, wash your rice and put them in the slow-cooker pot, then add sufficient amount of water. With my small pot, I usually put half a rice-cup of rice with 80% full of water. Then leave it on high at about 7.30-8am. After class, which maybe 2pm, add chicken fillet and ginger slices (actually you can do it anytime, when you see that the rice has turned into poriddge). At about 5pm, scoop the fillet and tear into pieces and put it back to your porridge. I usually add also some slices of shitake mushroom, cut chinese cabbage. Then put 0.5-1 tablespoon of oyster sauce, some salt and pepper. Leave to cook till about 6.30-7pm. And you can then enjoy your porridge after nice bath :) Don't forget to add some sesame oil or some onion oil to make it tastier. One of my all time favourite too --- Light Soy Sauce :D

The ingredient is basically up to you. Sometimes, I prefer to put those Chinese Dried Oyster with ginger slices, some seaweed, mushroom. Before eating, just simply sprinkle some cilantro on it. Easy, fast, tireless, what more can you wish for when one is lazy? *wink* You might also want to try cooking congee with a rice cooker? Also super easy hehe :)

1 comment:

Zoe said...

thanks for posting this, cause this is most suitable for lazy people like me! haha! look delicious. good job

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......