Saturday 1 May 2010

Kuih Leper

Ok ok...look at it properly...it's not "leper" as in leprosy. It's a malay word known as Leper, meaning flat. Kuih leper doesn't exist, as far as I am concern. But today kuih leper will exist, because of me hahaha. I self-named my new-found kuih as Kuih Leper ... ta-ta-ta-daa
Today is Labours' Day (Yeah, 1st of May). I wanted to do Kuih Bom (a fried round kuih coated with sesame with the nuts/coconut filling), but sad to say...failed to. I don't know why but I just couldn't wrap it properly. The dough just melted off and became so sticky that I can't even rolled it. So I actually threw away 2 "balls". Then I just don't know what to do with the balance of the dough and filling. So I came up with "Just fry them, don't care!" So here it is ---> Kuih Leper!!! Happy frying.

Ingredients :
Oil to fry

A)
40g Corn Starch
40g Hot Water
B)
200g Glutinous Rice Flour
50g Flour
50g Castored Sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons salt
Water (sufficiently to form the dough)
C)
100g Grated Coconut
150g Gula Melaka (chopped a bit)
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
50ml water
Method :
1. Prepare (A). You will get something sticky just like in the picture above.
2. Prepare (B). Form a dough.
3. Mixed the doughs in (1) & (2). So you will get one dough now.
4. Heat pan/pot with oil.
5. Pull a small portion of the dough, make a small ball, flatten it.
6. Put it in the hot ol, fry with low fire, till golden brown, like the picture below.
7. For (C) --- The filling : In a pot, fill in with the water, pour in Gula Melaka and melt it.
8. Then add sugar (more if you want it sweeter or less) and salt.
9. Add in the shredded coconut, mix together (Don't burnt it :D)
10. Serve with the Kuih Leper.

The result of the filling
Then what I did with the balanced oil??? See?
Hehehe, keropok! Hmm, I love this a lot a lot a lot!!!

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

Hi! Perhaps you want to try again. Substitute the corn starch with steamed mashed sweet potatoes and you might just get it right. Or you can refer to my blog for the recipe http://chinadoll-bakingdairy.blogspot.com/2009/06/sweet-potato-glutinous-rice-balls.html

~~Dreams Come True~~ said...

ok, will give it a shot the next try. Thankz :D

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......