Thursday 14 January 2010

Onde-Onde


Again my very first attempt of kuih making. Well, onde-onde I remember that I once helped my mother when I was something like 7-8 years old. Ok, so not my first attempt but second. Whatever.

The end result of my attempt is not very satisfying, although it has passed the border. It's a little bit tough. And the Gula Melaka (palm sugar) didn't really melted well.
Gula Melaka (cut)

I don't have pandan paste here not even the essence (I doubt the Ukrainians ever heard of pandan). And I didn't use any green colouring, so basically it's a white version of onde-onde.

I used those packed shredded coconut. What to do? This isn't Malaysia and I don't have the shredder.For those interested in making onde-onde, the recipe is attached below. Original recipe can be found on the blog of Lily Wai Sek Hong.

From big to small

With this recipe, I managed to make about 50 biji of onde-onde. The size is a mixture of big and small. I think my skill is not that good yet. And I found my onde-onde is too thick too :(

*Ingredients:
270 g glutinous rice flour
55 g tapioca flour
Pinch of salt
200 ml water
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp pandan paste
A few drops green colouring (if desired)
1/2 grated coconut, mixed with a pinch of salt
The Formed Dough

Filling (combine):
(I only used Gula Melaka)
100g gula Melaka or palm sugar
1 tbsp soft brown sugar

Method
1. Boil together the tapioca flour, oil and 200 ml water over low heat. Keep stirring till only 3/4 cooked. Allow mixture to turn transparent.

2. Pour the tapioca mixture immediately into the glutinous rice flour in a large bowl. Stir till well absorbed and gradually add in the pandan paste, salt and green food coloring.

3. Stir well and knead to form a firm smooth dough. If dough is too soft , add a little glutinous flour.

4. Divide dough into small pieces and form 1 inch size balls. Flatten each piece, put half a teaspoon of filling in the centre and roll into onde-onde balls.

5. Drop the onde-onde into boiling water. Reduce heat to medium. When the balls are cooked they will float. Continue to cook for another 2 mins to dissolve the sugar and make it syrupy.

6. Scoop up the onde-onde with a perforated ladle, dab ladle over dry cloth and then toss onde onde in grated coconut.

7. Repeat with the rest of the dough.*
*Quoted from the original recipe of Lily Wai Sek Hong's Onde-Onde.*

Some floated, some haven't

A plate of Onde-onde

P/S : For those in Ukraine, yes, you can't find Gula Melaka. I brought from Malaysia. But substituting it with brown sugar works just fine :)

2 comments:

Zoe said...

OMG!! U make me pengsan again! Where the heck did you find all these stuff? GULA MELAKA??!! all the way in Ukraine? Gosh, you really impressed me girl! good job!

~~Dreams Come True~~ said...

The Gula Melaka travelled for thusands of miles hahaha. The rest of the ingredient almost can get it here. I have been waiting for a long long time to do this. But sad to say, not that sedap. Nice in pic nia hahaha

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......