Saturday 17 April 2010

Kuih Lobak


Kuih Lobak a.k.a Lo Bak Ko is made of Daikon. I happened to have a small daikon in the fridge. And it has been staying in there for about 2 weeks. I gotta get an idea to clear it. And then sprang an idea of making Lo Bak Ko.

After browsing the net for quite some time, I reached upon this page of LilyWai's. I modified the recipe though. I omitted the Chinese sausage and tung min flour. And because of my small daikon, I recalculated the portions.


Ingredients :
300g daikon (shredded)
1 Onion (sliced)
30g Udang Kering
50g Shitake Mushroom
20g Corn Starch
100g Rice Flour (not glutinous rice flour!)
300ml Hot Water

Seasonings :
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
A dash of pepper

Method :
1. Soften the dried shrimps with some water in a bowl. Then slightly chop it.
2. Cut the Shitake mushrooms into cubes after softening it with hot water.
3. Place rice flour and corn starch in a bowl. Pour 300ml of hot water into the bowl and stir well. It will be glue-like.
4. Grease a pan with some oil.
5. Heat up small amount of oil in a pan fry onion (then set aside),
6. Fry the dried shrimp, then set aside again.
7. Followed by mushroom (set aside). Finally , the shredded radish and then set aside again.
8. Mix all the "set aside" ingredients (4 in total) and season with the seasoning ingredients.
9. Pour (8) in the pan and pour the flour mixture into the pan. Cook until the mixture thickens.
10. Place the thick batter into the greased pan prepared earlier.
11. Steam at high fire for about 1 hour.
12. Slice the Lo Bak Ko only when it is cooled down.
*You may fry it after it is cooled down too (picture below)*

Some mistakes I made:
My mistake in doing this is that I didn't set aside those ingredients, so you can see that mine turn out brownish instead of a whiter color. The second mistake is that my batter wasn't too thick, so it turn out a bit too soft. Third, I added too much of salt (miscalculated), but the recipe I wrote was corrected (I also forget that the dried shrimp is already quite salty :P ) Fourth, I thought my batter is thick enough, I should have waited it too be even thicker before steaming :(

Other than that, I think the taste of my Kuih Lobak is fine (except the salty part hahaha). One more thing, personally, I think if I changed my recipe with 500g Daikon, 150g rice flour and 500ml water, it should turn out even better.

Serve the Kuih Lobak with chilly sauce or maybe sambal :)


After frying

P/S :
This is what I did with the unfinished super duper salty Kuih Lobak ---> Fried Rice :D

No comments:

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......