Thursday 11 February 2010

2010 Chinese New Year Cookies

This month of February, every weekend is filled with activities. CNY reunion dinner, Chap Goh Meh gathering, "Chap Goh Meh Banquet", those February babies ... ...

Maybe it is the last CNY we gather together here as student in Ukraine, everyone is planning something. Especially in my hostel, my floor where almost each of us is doing something --- in the kitchen ( I don't think we are as hardworking if we were in Malaysia though :P )

Every evening, as you passed by this floor, you will notice that in the kitchen, there will be someone, or rather a few someones --- baking CNY goodies till late night. Even before you reach this floor, you could smell the fragrance of some familiar CNY cookies. Peanut cookies, pineapple tarts, bakua, cornflake cookies ... ... It definitely makes one missing those good old days back home in Malaysia, celebrating this wonderful, joyous occasion.

My neighbour, even hold on to the tradition, hanging those red clothes on the door, putting up CNY decorations and MeiHua. Not forgetting his marvelous skills in baking and cooking, you will definitely see bottles of cookies that keeps you drooling. Each time he enters the kitchen to cook for dinner, he definitely will blast his speaker --- online MyFM live from Malaysia. And especially around this time, you will miss those CNY songs!

For this festive season this year, I couldn't resist the temptation too. My floormates baking day and night have indeed successfully influence me, into preparing my own CNY cookies. Just couldn't keep myself away from the kitchen.

I haven't found the consistency that I have been looking forward to tasting in the peanut cookies from my friends who gave me. Not that they weren't delicious. (I have to admit, that some of them tasted good.) Just that I want those that can melt the instant it is in the mouth. So, yesterday I baked my own peanut cookies based on this. And fortunately, I got it!!! YES!!! However, some are burnt *blush* But I am satisfied :)

~ Peanut Cookies ~

Cooling the Peanut Cookies

Up close of the Peanut Cookies in tupperware

Then from the neighbour I mentioned (the one who decorated his room absolutely like you were in Malaysia), I found my long-sought flourless cornflake cookies. I have been craving for it for so so long. And I have not managed to find it on web. Finally, I saw them on his rack. How badly I wanted the recipe, and here they are...TA-DA

~ My long-sought Flourless Cornflake Cookies ~

Storing them up :P

The tedious of all is none but the pineapple tarts. Not only is the pineapple filling time-consuming, even the process of making the dough for the tart, the cutting and the egg wash is eating up hours of mine. Patience, patience, patience... ... But the result is very satisfying. But definitely heaty as you will be staying in the kitchen with the heating oven for hours. The recipe for this tart is here.

Pineapple filling preparation

Ready-to-be-used pineapple filling

Unbaked tarts, even without egg-wash still

My favourite pineapple tarts

Up-close of these CNY pineapple tarts

So, finally, out of these 6 years celebrating CNY in foreign land, I have my CNY goodies. That makes me feel like 50% in hometown, hehehe.

~~~ HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR ~~~

3 comments:

Zoe said...

OMG! you always make my sliver come out when reading your blog. GOOD job!!!

Happy New Year my dear friend. I am going back to Malaysia this June. Hopefully we'll have chance to see each other, if you are back also.

~~Dreams Come True~~ said...

I will only reach in July, hopefully ur still around :) Happy CNY with a prosperous and wonderful year ahed

Zoe said...

My guess is I will be there till early Aug. So I think we will be seeing each other then. Yay!!!:D

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......