Saturday 29 May 2010

American Ginseng & Pear 泡参炖梨

Was browsing through my rack in the refrigerator (Yes, I'm staying in a 3-seater. And yes, we share the fridge :P), looking at what "leftovers" I may still have. I have roughly 2 months left, not deducting the 2-3 weeks traveling weeks yet. So, yeah, gotta clear stock!!!

So I saw 2 packets of American Ginseng, not sure whether it's 泡参 or 花旗参. But no big deal. I don't feel like doing the old way of making Ginseng tea with few pieces of Ginseng. Therefore, I'd figure how to clear a pack of them, and came out with this soup.

Judging from the ingredients I used, I would say it is definitely healthy and good, especially for the lungs (润肺)?! Hahaha. Ginseng for the energy (气) and 精神 (spirit?) and trust me, it is especially beneficial during the exam period (yeah, Tuesday, 1st June!!! And yet I am blogging?!) Red dates (红枣)for the circulation and I heard that pear when you cook with herbs is good for the lungs??? But, whatever, it is good for health, or at least, I convinced myself so :P
Ingredients :
American Ginseng 泡参 : 50g (But 25g should be enough)
Red Dates 红枣 : 10-15
Preserved Dates 蜜枣 : 3-6
Pear (Better to use 雪梨, but I used 鸭梨) : 2-3
Sugar (optional)

I think I used horribly lots of Ginseng here, so I ended up adding a lot of water later on, too bitter for me :P. I think half of my Ginseng will do. But preserved dates can be more, hehehe

Add everything and water into the slow-cooker and keep on high. Cook for about 4 hours. You may want to add the pear at the last hour (like me) or 2nd last :P
P/S : I know this isn't as healthy but I can't stand bitterness, so I added some sugar.

So, good luck, my friends (and myself :P)! Take good care of yourself especially health-wise when lots of midnight oil is to be burnt :D
Happy studying and all the best in the exams!!!

2 comments:

Zoe said...

Good luck in your exam. After so many years studying in Ukraine, I believe you're now an excellent doctor and wonderful cook! Do your best and God will take care of the rest.

By the way, those are American 花旗参

~~Dreams Come True~~ said...

Haha, how to differentiate the ginsengs? Need to learn some tips from you :)
LOL, excellent doctor? Hope so. Wonderful cook haha, not really. Back in Msia, yet another ordinary girl :P

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......