Friday 9 January 2009

CouchSurfing

Yes, a sudden change of plan! The initial Egypt trip has sunk to the bottom of the ocean bed. Maybe not destined for Egypt. Twice, it has been twice that the Egypt trip has been cancelled. Last year, from the original Egypt plan to Prague, Hungary, Vienna. This year, again from Egypt plan switched to Belgium and Wroclaw.

On the Wednesday, we (Oi Ling and I) decided to go for Belgium, booked all the tickets needed. Though we still have a little problem from Kiev to enter Poland. The transport, route is not totally confirmed yet. But, by God's protection, I know we will be fine.

There is an interesting something that I would like to share---CouchSurfing (www.couchsurfing.com). Yes, some of you may know, some may not. I didn't have a chance to really experienced it last summer. But within 2 days, after many request, I was given my first chance to experienced my first ever CS trip.

I don't know what it will be like, good/bad, scary/wonderful...Yet to be known. Yes, of course there will be risk. It's all not guaranteed. Even that after reading their profiles, feeling safe, it doesn't mean that it is really safe. Both the host and surfers are at risk! How would you know that your host is 100% good? And how would the host know that their surfers aren't robbers/kidnappers...?

But that doesn't stop me from wanting to experiencing it. Driving bears risk too. However a careful driver you may be, however slow that you may drive (20 km/hour?), are you sure that there will not be a reckless driver to bump into your car? It's a whole unpredictable thing!

When my friends know about me requesting a couch, many advised me to watch "Taken", "Hostels"...I haven't watch them though, but I think I know the story. I am very thankful for their concerns. And yet I am still requesting.

Yes, there is risk. And I really don't know how much can I trust. I don't know whether or not I will come back in whole. I don't know what sort of experiences I will be having. I don't know what exactly I would or should do in case of trouble. But I will pray.

For those who are trying CS or maybe trying CS, always prepare a second alternative. Although being offered a couch, if you don't feel comfortable, leave. Always prepare a list of hostels for emergency cases. Maybe you couldn't make it or maybe the host has a sudden change of plan. Always leave some details to your families and friends about new friends that you will meet and have meet. Let them know. For a true genuine CS Members would never mind that and would always understand.

I think this would be the last post until I am back from the winter holidays. Will share more after my trip. Hope that you too can experience a wonderful something. And friends, thank you for all your care, I really appreciate them. I will try my very best to take care (Although most of the time I can't, haha.)

Till then! *Wink*

2 comments:

@ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Wow, sure my name will not be in some police list or what? Haha!! Now I am worry for myself if you MIA!!! ;p

~~Dreams Come True~~ said...

You can be assured now that you are not in the police's criminal name list. :P

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......