Friday 14 May 2010

No Water Day

This is a long post. So drink water, prepare your popcorns. Nothing important, nothing special, just something simple. :P

This month I have so many things / topics that are good to blog about, more for my personal memory though, LOL. My birthday celebration---last time in Ukraine, because in the future most probably will be only in Malaysia (unless, of course, if I go traveling, hahaha), my camping experience in Crimea, my last day of class in Simferopol, my city without water...ARGH!!! Yet, time is so little, especially when exams around the corner.

But I must write this blog. Ok, not must but --- I wanted to, of course. It is a no-water-day, Simferopol have no water supply. Precisely, on 12.05.2010, a Wednesday night, I saw this "no water supply from 13/5, 5am to 14/5, 3pm" on the undeniably influential and powerful FaceBook post, by dear DP. DIE!!! When my class ended on 7th May 2010, I am nearly 24-hours in hostel room. No water, is like a living hell, especially the toilet + no bathing !!! *Sob Sob* Luckily, my period is not coming yet *blush*

Then some of us boringly talked about 13/5's dinner, of course, I will be taking the easy way out --- Eat Out!!! Then here is an interesting phone conversation :

Me : So you wanna join me eating out or not?
DP :
Huh?! Eat out when there is no water???

Me :
Then when? Eat out when there is water supply?

DP :
That maybe dirty! They may not even wash the meat and fish.

Me :
So you think they'll wash the meat and fish properly when there is water supply???

DP : Hmm, true though.

Ok, ok! I guess I know what you think. They do clean their products when there is water supply??? I don't know. However, I do have confidence in the kitchen staffs' etiquette :P But under these circumstances, I would say that as long as I don't see it, I think it is fine.

And I was told by WeiMin and SyihYing that 1/3 of Simferopol has no water supply because the Lake that supply this region is under cleaning process. WHAT??? Cleaning and you need to cut off our water supply??? Is this logical? Do you suck out every drops of the lake water and store it in a huge gigantic tank and then clean the bottom of the lake??? Does it make any sense? Why are they making our life miserable?

On 9th May, the hostel has no water because the pipe in front of our hostel burst, then now this! Every year (for 6 freaking years) there will be such incidentssss (not once but FREQUENTLY, especially spring/summer when we sweat and stink) ARGH!!! Why can't they just make a good quality pipe??? Can't they see that the cost of using Cheaplak Pipe is higher in the long run??? Somemore, no hot water supply in Summer, more precisely around end May-June. They think their cold water is like Malaysia's. But, hell NO. It's ICE cold water!!! Ah, nevermind, I get used to it (Hmm, have I really???)

But fortunately, the water came at about 6.30am Friday, when I heard the flow of water in the bathroom. What a relief!!! I rushed at the very moment of hearing it, switched off the tap, get back to bed and got up at 7.30am (Just can't wait any longer) to take my refreshing bath...Hmm, so nice!

So now, back to my dinner on Thursday, 13/5 --> I went to "Opex" (English = Nuts, yes that's Russian *wink*) for my dinner with 7 other friends. I have been hearing good comments about it for quite a while. But I think it's a little bit over-rated. The place is actually quite beautiful. Especially the windmill at the entrance is rather captivating. And now that the spring - summer is around the corner, eating open air is just simply sweet. I like the outside decoration of the cafe, especially the ambiance, the drapery curtains, the rattan furniture...

6th Years



Interior

Ying (Top Student) & Min in the windmill
I ordered a Mushroom Cream Soup, Duck with Apple, Boiled Potatoes with Butter and a cup of Chocolate Milkshake, paying a 10%-tax-inclusive uah62.70 (€6.27). Seriously, eating out in Ukraine (if compared to traveling in Europe) is cheap. How can you get less than €10 for a FULL 3-4 course meal with a drink (my friends'), especially for those richer countries using €€€/Pound Sterling? But of course, it's because we are (ok, I am) poor that I have to opt for Ukraine to study. Therefore, eating out constantly is, of course, not a good idea :) Food in Opex I'd give a 70%; but the service is good, I'd put a 85% *Applause*. Just the seats inside the windmill is too too dusty, even to just take a picture :P
When food has not arrived yet



I love this shot! Thank you, SyihYing!

Reading or posing?



Khiu & See Choo

Jackie being "Yeng"
So below will be stretch of picturesssss which I hope will speak for themselves. Prices (if any) are before adding the 10% service tax :D

Creamy Mushroom Soup 14uah


Fish Soup ... " Yxa " 15uah


Shurpa 14uah


Caesar Salad, uah 25


"Okean" Salad, uah28


Mutton, price by weight


Pork Ribs, uah17-18/100g


Pork Roll, by weight


Duck with Apple, uah 25 per plate


Pork, by weight


Fries 6uah

Seafood Rice, 9uah

Dessert --- Ice-Cream uah18


Everyone is busy taking pictures or posing :P

I simply just like this picture, such a coincident to have the same expre
ssion on both of them, good shot!


My whole set
A mushroom soup (picture somewhere above) 14uah

Duck with Apple, 25 uah
Boiled potatoes with Butter, 6 uah
Chocolate Milkshake 12 uah


I am that uncivilized, using hands and fingers.

Waiting for the bill :)

Total = uah 591.25

Yan Lee & Izman


Hugging the Top Student

Eat till the night falls

We think he is the owner

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Nice pics, beautiful dining place and gorgeous you!

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......