Wednesday 2 June 2010

D-O-C-T-O-R

Cleared my 1st exam of the two today (01.06.2010). 1st exam consist of Social Medicine, Hygiene and Pediatrics. The next will be on the 16th June 2010 for 3 subjects too, Therapy - O&G - Surgery (Yes, tonight will be a break for me before I have to stuck for the next preparation). And then, I could gladly tour around Crimea, the Black Sea before the graduation ceremony. Hmmm, maybe I should wear long sleeves to prevent myself from tanning too much :P Imagine how those people in bikinis and, perhaps sunbathing naked, would think of me? Morons??? Hehehe

Looking back, it's kinda fast how the time flies by. 6 years, I've been stuck here in Ukraine for 6 darn long years. Yet, my level of Russian is so much to be desired. Hahaha. But seriously, I don't think I am at fault. I am taking an English course, staying in the university's hostel, speaking with mainly my mini-Malaysia community, interacting with my pure-Malaysian group mates... ... What do you expect? At least, I have manage to survive in this Russian-speaking place, traveling around with my broken Russian. And I have to agree, it's much more easier to pick up language when you are young, way way younger :)

I didn't really like Ukraine when I first arrived here 6 years ago. Especially when I first arrived in the Simferopol airport, a very much backward one compared to our sophisticated KLIA. And this was my very first time traveling abroad. I have to admit, I am not those people who are home-sick to the extend of complaining every darn little things. As much I disliked this place, I don't despise it. And in fact, as time went by, I learned to grow and like this place and in fact, I think I fell in love with this place, this field of sunflowers (although I haven't really saw a field of sunflowers :P No doubt, bouquets of them. always) But, of course, I am still looking forward to going back to Malaysia and I can't wait till the day I am flying home :D

Studying abroad, especially in a country where communication is difficult, is never easy. And yes, studying medicine in Ukraine or Russia is not like the other "more-famous" countries, like the USA, UK, Australia etc. The duration itself took 6-years as compared to other places, (even my homeland) which usually takes 5 years (some even is as short as 4.5 years only). The cost for education is no doubt slightly lower as compared to those advance-countries, but it certainly gets higher nowadays. Language barrier is another issue, where you need to pick up the local language to be able to communicate with the locals/patients, even if you're in an English medium stream. It's compulsory!!! And next up is definitely the different culture and society and that you're faraway from home, having to re-adapt to the new environment, especially the weather and climate, food, people, new friends ... ... It's tough, definitely, but I think I have gone through it and am proud to shout out loud "I have made it!!!"

Upon successfully completing my 1 of the 2 exams, I could say that we students here have manage to put on the first stroke of "R" --- l. Yeah, 6 years, each year representing an alphabet --- D-O-C-T-O-R !!! Can't wait for the day to put on the final stroke of the "R", yet on the contrary, still hoping to have more time to prepare for my final exam and, last but not least, I seriously enjoy the time of being a student :)

1 comment:

Zoe said...

I like this post and yes, you should really feel proud of yourself! You are so close now. I am so proud of you and glad that I have a doctor friend and I can "ac seh" to everybody. Hehe...Miss you much my friend. All the best to your very final exams in your life and wish you graduate with flying colors ;)

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......