Sunday 3 May 2009

~~ BiRtHdAy ~~

I like to have birthday in Ukraine. It's a public holiday. Which holiday am not sure, but it is a holiday. I am satisfied with that alone.

My 2009 birthday has been splendid. Lots of unexpected and expected. Not that the past weren't splendid. Just that this year is different.

In the past years, due to a stretch of long holidays, especially when they were continuous with Saturday and Sunday, we normally find some where to visit --- Kiev, Odessa etc etc. This year again, was a stretch from Thursday night till Monday. Yippie! Yet this year have decided to stay back in the room, and keep the seasides for the Summer.

Usually we choose to surprise the Birthday Guy with celebrations. But mine this year was told everything straight to the face. I even have choices. Maybe they know that I am fussy enough, :P

My groupmates held a pre-birthday lunch, thankz to the CSMU Conference Day. Was satisfied with the ambience of the Cafe (Cafe Park Platan). But the food that day wasn't as splendid, I think the chef on duty that afternoon was of a lower level of the chef at night. Too bad. For those who participated in the lunch, do pay a second visit to the Cafe for dinner, you will be satisfied and understand why people recommend the Cafe so much.

I was given a choice for the flavour of the cake, chose Coffee. And for that week alone, I had not one but THREE coffee cakes. And for the first time (as of 2009), I have so many cakes for one bithday --- 6!!! A coffee cheese cake (Justin) and pineapple upside down (Oo) for the pre-lunch. Then a coffee cake by AnnFeng, an orange cake by YanLee, a coffee spongy cake (DuPing) and carrot cake (SuEe and See Jie).

Then on Birth Day itself, was a "surprise" dinner. This was supposed to be a surprise, but I have come to know by accident, one by one the involved happened to accidently talk about. And I then come to know half of the programme hahaha. But, was great. The food, the people, the game. And what was more of a blessing, I saw some friends whom I have never expected. And yes indeed, I am touched!

The last surprise I got was the Orange Cake at about midnight, with a bunch of friends whom again I never expect. Was yet again touched.

This year's birthday has awakened me even more to appreciate more and complain lesser. And hopefully I will remember that and change to the better. I mean we always know this theory but actions is much harder to be carried out, isn't it?

Birthday isn't a great day for celebration alone. Birthday is a day of blessing in disguise because you have gone through the year and have a new one to experience, and many years to come. It is not about cakes alone but about the friendships that we have after going through the thick and thins. It is not about the food but the sincerity that has been put into growing the tree of friendship. It isn't about presents, but it is about how fortunate we are to have the abundance that many don't even have a chance to lay a hand upon (the gifts, the friendship, family, shelter, health, happiness, safety ... ...)

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Happy belated birthday my dear friend. I'm glad that you have so many friends celebrate with you for your birthday and yet so many cakes to eat! lol. Take good care there. I send my wishes all the way to Ukraine to you. May the angel makes your wishes come true :)

~~ Dreams Come True ~~

A place to seek for comfort is none better than to
let yourself know that you are actually much fortunate than many others......